1 in or characteristic of a region of the United States north of (approximately) the Mason-Dixon line; "Northern liberals"; "northern industry"; "northern cities" [ant: southern]
2 situated in or oriented toward the north; "the northern suburbs"; "going in a northerly direction" [syn: northerly]
3 coming from the north; used especially of wind; "the north wind doth blow"; "a northern snowstorm"; "the winds are northerly" [syn: northerly]
4 situated in or coming from regions of the north; "the northern hemisphere"; "northern autumn colors" [ant: southern] n : a dialect of Middle English that developed into Scottish Lallans
facing, situated in or related to the north
- Finnish: pohjoistuuli
North of England
Northern may refer to the following articles:
- Northern (automobile), an early American automobile
- Northern Bank, commercial bank in Northern Ireland.
- Northern Rock, a British bank
- Northern Records, a Southern California independent record label.
- Northern blot (molecular biology)
- The Northern Ontario School of Medicine a medical school in Ontario, Canada
- NCIVS an acronym for Northern Collegiate Institute and Vocational School in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada.
- Northern Secondary School, a high school in Canada
- Northern locomotive, a type of (4-8-4) steam locomotive
- The Northern Pike fish is often called simply a "northern".
- Northern Rail, a train operating company operating railway services in Northern England
- Northern Territory, Australia
- Northern Tool & Equipment
- Northern United States
- The Northern Way, an initiative of the British Governments Department for Communities and Local Government to increase economic competitiveness of Northern England
- Northern (soccer) a soccer club based in Dunedin which competes in the SoccerSouth Premier League
- Northern, Sudan, a state in Sudan
northern in Dutch: Northern
northern in Polish: Northern
antarctic, arctic, austral, boreal, east, eastbound, easterly, eastermost, eastern, easternmost, hyperborean, meridional, north, northbound, northeast, northeasterly, northeastern, northerly, northernmost, northwest, northwesterly, northwestern, occidental, oriental, south, southbound, southeast, southeasterly, southeastern, southerly, southern, southernmost, southwest, southwesterly, southwestern, west, westbound, westerly, western, westernmost